I have written for adults, teens and children, including books, magazine articles, newspaper articles and radio broadcasts.
“I was so thrilled to read your beautiful and uplifting article on the empty nest syndrome experienced by many whose kids leave home for the first time. It really put a silver lining on my gray clouds!” – Discover magazine reader
“I absolutely love this article—it’s gripping and gently heartbreaking. The lead and kicker are particularly elegant.” – Johanna Arnone, Editor, Muse
“You do top notch work—one of the best freelancers I’ve had out of the gate.” – Kerry Shellborn, Assigning Editor, Kootenay Business Magazine
“I’ve talked to a lot of reporters and compared to most of them, you really asked the right questions.” – expert interviewed for a magazine article
“I received the magazine this Monday. I was thrilled! Your article is very interesting and I was glad to read it. Congratulations!” – expert interviewed for a magazine article
“I thought it was really well written and organized!” – expert interviewed for a magazine article
Here are a few examples of my magazine articles:
Arts and culture
- What’s That Ratty Pair of Pointe Shoes Doing to Your Feet? (Pointe Magazine)
- Trails, Tales and Bails (ARTiculate)
- Dancing Hones Your Body, But What Does It Do to Your Brain? (Dance Magazine)
- To Reflect or Not to Reflect: Should Dance Teachers Stop Using Mirrors? (Dance Teacher)
- Finding Direction (ARTiculate)
- Look, Mom! a Van Gogh!: Why Artistic Masterpieces Matter to Teens (Parent.co)
- Welding a Vision (ARTiculate)
- Thinking Small (The Dance Current)
- Disappearance (ARTiculate)
- Two Days & Three Hundred Knights (Kootenay Mountain Culture)
- Friday Night Is Pizza Night. How Weekend Choices Undermine Our Kids’ Healthy Eating Habits. (The Washington Post)
- A New Study Shows What Many of Us Already Believe: Dogs Are Good for Kids (The Washington Post)
- The Perks of Being an Empty Nester (Discover)
- 5 Ways to Foster Creativity in Yourself (and Also Benefit Your Kids) (Parent.co)
- How an All-girls Education Made Me a Clueless Mom (Parent.co)
- Why We Feel the Need to Knock on Wood (Discover)
- Want to Stop Craving Chocolate? Here Are Two Options. (The Washington Post)
- I Thought I Was the Only Galadriel (The Globe and Mail)
- A Marriage to Music (Won the professional non-fiction category of CBC Radio One’s Alberta Anthology 2004, plus received honorable mention in the 1997 Writer’s Digest Writing Competition.)
Coming April 2019! Extreme Abilities: Amazing Human Feats and the Simple Science Behind Them (Annick Press).
Another book, on how animals move, will be published by Annick Press in winter 2020.
I have also published 22 other non-fiction books for children, including Rocks on the Move: The Rock Cycle and When Earth Shakes (Scholastic Canada). View all books here.
Plus I’ve written over 50 magazine articles for children. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Lending a Hairy Hand (Muse)
- Art Alert! (Muse)
- The Thrill of Getting Grubby (Muse)
- Mummies Speak (Muse)
- Beastly Blahs (Muse)
Fiction for adults
My short story “Mouthwash and Mass Destruction” was published in The Lamp Journal, Volume 8 (2018).
One of my short stories was a finalist in the 2016 Thomas Morton Memorial Prize for Literary Excellence (The Puritan).
Fiction for teens
I have written a young adult novel—Beneath the Cardboard Moon—and am currently seeking a publisher.