I have written for adults, teens and children, including books, magazine articles, newspaper articles and radio broadcasts.
“I was so thrilled to read your beautiful and uplifting article on the empty nest syndrome experienced by many whose kids leave home for the first time. It really put a silver lining on my gray clouds!” – Discover magazine reader
“You do top notch work—one of the best freelancers I’ve had out of the gate.” – Kerry Shellborn, Assigning Editor, Kootenay Business Magazine
“I’ve talked to a lot of reporters and compared to most of them, you really asked the right questions.” – expert interviewed for a magazine article
“I received the magazine this Monday. I was thrilled! Your article is very interesting and I was glad to read it. Congratulations!” – expert interviewed for a magazine article
Here are a few examples of my magazine articles:
Arts and culture
- Trails, Tales and Bails (ARTiculate)
- Dancing Hones Your Body, But What Does It Do to Your Brain? (Dance Magazine)
- To Reflect or Not to Reflect: Should Dance Teachers Stop Using Mirrors? (Dance Teacher)
- Finding Direction (ARTiculate)
- Look, Mom! a Van Gogh!: Why Artistic Masterpieces Matter to Teens (Parent.co)
- Welding a Vision (ARTiculate)
- Thinking Small (The Dance Current)
- Disappearance (ARTiculate)
- Two Days & Three Hundred Knights (Kootenay Mountain Culture)
- A New Study Shows What Many of Us Already Believe: Dogs Are Good for Kids (The Washington Post)
- The Perks of Being an Empty Nester (Discover)
- 5 Ways to Foster Creativity in Yourself (and Also Benefit Your Kids) (Parent.co)
- How an All-girls Education Made Me a Clueless Mom (Parent.co)
- I Thought I Was the Only Galadriel (The Globe and Mail)
- A Marriage to Music (Won the professional non-fiction category of CBC Radio One’s Alberta Anthology 2004, plus received honorable mention in the 1997 Writer’s Digest Writing Competition.)
I have published 22 non-fiction books for children, including Rocks on the Move: The Rock Cycle and When Earth Shakes (Scholastic Canada). View all books here. Also watch for my newest book, on amazing human abilities, scheduled to come out in winter 2019 from Annick Press.
I have also written over 50 magazine articles for children. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Mummies Speak (Muse)
- Beastly Blahs (Muse)
- The Riddle of the Temple and the Queen (YES Mag)
- Putting It Off! The Science of Procrastination (YES Mag)
- A Dark and Stormy Night: The Journey of an Eel (Ask)
Fiction for adults
My short story “Mouthwash and Mass Destruction” will be published in The Lamp Journal, Volume 8 (2018).
One of my short stories was a finalist in the 2016 Thomas Morton Memorial Prize for Literary Excellence (The Puritan).
Fiction for teens
I have written a young adult novel—Beneath the Cardboard Moon—which is being represented by agent Hilary McMahon of Westwood Creative Artists.
- Vindicated, Viking-style (Maisonneuve: coming Fall 2018)
- The Mathematics of Friendship (The Cardiff Review)