I have written for adults, teens and children, including books, magazine articles, newspaper articles and radio broadcasts.
“You do top notch work—one of the best freelancers I’ve had out of the gate.” – Kerry Shellborn, Assigning Editor, Kootenay Business Magazine
Here are a few examples of my magazine articles:
Visual and performing arts:
- Look Mom! a Van Gogh!: Why Artistic Masterpieces Matter to Teens (Parent.co)
- Welding a Vision (ARTiculate Magazine)
- Thinking Small (The Dance Current)
- Disappearance (ARTiculate Magazine)
- What’s underground? Take a look at the trees… (Canadian Mining & Energy)
- Two Days & Three Hundred Knights (Kootenay Mountain Culture)
- A Rich Mining Past (Canadian Mining & Energy)
- Experience a Replicated Doukhobor Village in Castlegar, B.C. (RVwest)
- 5 Ways to Foster Creativity in Yourself (and Also Benefit Your Kids) (Parent.co)
- How an All-girls Education Made Me a Clueless Mom (Parent.co)
- I Thought I Was the Only Galadriel (The Globe and Mail)
- A Marriage to Music (Won the professional non-fiction category of CBC Radio One’s Alberta Anthology 2004, plus received honorable mention in the 1997 Writer’s Digest Writing Competition.)
I have published 22 non-fiction books for children, including Rocks on the Move: The Rock Cycle and When Earth Shakes (Scholastic Canada). View all books here. Also watch for my newest book, on amazing human abilities, scheduled to come out in winter 2019 from Annick Press.
I have also written over 40 magazine articles for children. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Beastly Blahs (Muse)
- The Riddle of the Temple and the Queen (YES Mag)
- Putting It Off! The Science of Procrastination (YES Mag)
- A Dark and Stormy Night: The Journey of an Eel (Ask)
- Wet Is Wonderful (Ask)
Fiction for adults
I am currently writing a novel for adults. Also, one of my short stories was a finalist in the 2016 Thomas Morton Memorial Prize for Literary Excellence (The Puritan).
Fiction for teens
I have written a young adult novel—Beneath the Cardboard Moon—which is being represented by agent Hilary McMahon of Westwood Creative Artists.
If you’re interested in my dabbles into comics, check out my pages on Medium.