Running Wild: Awesome Animals in Motion
Honor Award: 2020 EUREKA! Nonfiction Children’s Book Awards, California Reading Association
Starred Review: Kirkus
Starred Review: CM Reviews
“Biodiversity Recommendation”: The Canadian Children’s Book Centre
written by Galadriel Watson
illustrated by Samantha Dixon
published by Annick Press
Creatures sprint, slither, and soar in this STEM-driven dive into the extraordinary, everyday ways animals move!
A squid jets through the ocean like a rocket. A cheetah races after a zig-zagging gazelle. A fishing spider walks on water with its eight hairy legs. All animals must move. Whether on the hunt for something to eat, on the run from being eaten, or in search of a mate or a safe place to live, their lives depend on marvelous motion!
In this fascinating introduction to biomechanics, seasoned non-fiction writer Galadriel Watson draws on biology, physics, and other sciences to show readers the incredible ways a variety of creatures move to meet their everyday needs—and overcome the physical forces working against them. An accessible, lively style and dynamic design will keep readers engaged, while Samantha Dixon’s energetic illustrations and mechanical diagrams reinforce STEM concepts on each spread.
PURCHASE IT through your local bookstore or outlets like these:
- Fascinating facts abound . . . an excellent choice for personal reading or projects. — Canadian Children’s Book News
- An engaging and comprehensive exploration of the physics of animal movement… Information is expertly presented. — Kirkus Reviews
- A book that is sure to inspire all three—wondering, watching, and learning. Well done. Highly recommended. — CM Reviews
- Peppy…engaging…well organized…an excellent choice. — School Library Journal
- A well written, engaging book that will appeal to engineering, science, and animal lovers alike. — Blog: Sharon the Librarian
- Carefully researched and with a design that is appealing and entertaining, the author presents variety in ways of looking at nonfiction and gleaning pertinent information for all readers. — Sal’s Fiction Addiction
- This is a wonderful book filled with fascinating facts… Any child who loves animals will enjoy this book. — Youth Services Book Review