But lately I’ve hit a couple of wows.
I originally wasn’t keen to read the book. The description didn’t appeal: rich kids, private island, deception. A snooty “we’re perfect and we know it” kind of thing, a tally of their designer clothing kind of thing. Which it isn’t at all.
So what makes it good?
- The main character’s voice.
- The main character’s vulnerability.
- The unique writing: chopping the sentences like poetry, throwing in make-you-think fairy tales.
- The two-way suspense: what happened in the past? what will happen in the future?
- And then the twist. My, oh my, what a twist. (What flavour of twist? Get a hint here.)
Needless to say, I can’t say more without ruining it. So run out and get it now!